Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Power off Breathing


Every single cell in our body needs oxygen. We oxygenate our cells as we breathe. We take in and let out 20-25 breathes per minute. Adults average between 18000 - 30000 per day. In yoga the breath is known as 'prana'. I remember that when I was having the stent put in my heart, Dr. Charros said I had to be awake because I had to be able to control my breathing. He actually would tell me when to breathe and when to hold my breath as he traveled through my femoral artery to my heart.
I remember laying there thinking ...'this is like yoga' We can look at our breath as the universal communicator within our body. It is the only bodily function that we do voluntarily and involuntarily. We can control how we breathe.

Check out this fact:

Did you know that most people have unhealthy breathing habits? They hold their breath or breathe high in the chest or in a shallow, irregular manner. These patterns have been unconsciously adopted, accidentally formed, or emotionally impressed. Certain "typical" breathing patterns actually trigger physiological and psychological stress and anxiety reactions!

Heart attacks, cancer, strokes, pneumonia, asthma, speech problems, and almost every disease known to mankind is worsened or improved by how well we breathe, the quality of our respiration.
source: breathing.com

Today I chose to be aware of my breathing. I share my breath with life. I share my breath with you~
Love~
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment