Monday, February 23, 2009

My Meds- diary of my medicine cabinet



Isordil (gif to the left>>)

When I cam home from the hospital after my MI....I was of course a little paranoid and waiting around for another heart attack....nothing better to do? I was on Plavix, 325 mg of aspirin daily, metoprolol, and simvastatin. Scary huh? I had no idea what all this stuff was doing...but I trusted that my cardiologist new what he was doing....and that was keeping me from dying!!! After passing my stress test (6 hour test!!) he took me off of Plavix! yeah!!!! and cut me back to 81 mg on my aspirin regimen. Huge goal to get off some of the meds. Goal met. Well..then I started dealing with some stress in my life 2 months after my event and I started having angina attacks. Dr. Yi Po Wu my GP put me on isordil (check out below) to help relieve the chest pain. I asked him if I would have to be on this forever....and he smiled and said...NO....music to my ears!!!!! I just love him!! Well I took them 3 times daily for 3 months and then when I lost my medical benefits due to cut back in hours....I made the executive decision to stop taking them. I am still alive and I while I still have the attacks....I am able to get through them with my new medicine ......Quan Yin. I still had the attacks with the isordil....but it helps the heart pump the blood easier...so the attacks are not as severe. I am doing fine!!! I use to cry when I would have an attack...because I just hated how I felt and my hands would go numb....but I am over that now. I am making progress! Real progress.


refers to the chart above:

Isosorbide dinitrate (ISDN) is 1,4:3,6-dianhydro-D-glucitol 2,5-dinitrate, an organic nitrate whose structural formula is

Isordil (isosorbide dinitrate) structural formula illustration

and whose molecular weight is 236.14. The organic nitrates are vasodilators, active on both arteries and veins.

Isosorbide dinitrate is a white, crystalline, odorless compound which is stable in air and in solution, has a melting point of 70°C and has an optical rotation of +134° (c=1.0, alcohol, 20°C). Isosorbide dinitrate is freely soluble in organic solvents such as acetone, alcohol, and ether, but is only sparingly soluble in water.

No comments:

Post a Comment